Fostering excellence in teaching
The University of Melbourne fosters excellence in teaching staff with a resource-rich environment that supports innovative approaches, sustained endeavour, and builds capacity in its educators. It recognises that good teaching occurs when staff and students work together, and that inspirational leadership both inside and outside the classroom is based on sound principles of pedagogy, practice and scholarship.
Centre for the Study of Higher Education
- resources for sessional teaching
- workshops on teaching
- expert independent advice to departments on teaching and learning matters
- other teaching and learning resources
Academics and teaching staff wishing to develop advanced expertise and leadership skills in university teaching roles also have the opportunity to complete a Graduate Certificate in University Teaching (GCUT).
CSHE programs are enhanced and extended by the use of information and communication technologies. Academic development activities are available to full-time, part-time and sessional academic and teaching staff of the University.
Other units of the University also offer training and assistance to develop excellence in teaching. These include:
- The Disability Liaison Unit (including advice and strategies for inclusive teaching, running field trips, accessible formats, supervising graduates and good examples of good practice).
- Human Resources (including the Future Academic and New Academic Leaders programs and Academic Women in Leadership).
- Language Testing and Research Centre (LTRC) (School of Languages and Linguistics)
- Copyright Office (including guidelines for using copyright material for educational purposes)
Faculty teaching and learning units
In addition to the resources and expertise listed above, a number of faculties maintain units dedicated to the improvement of teaching and learning within their disciplines. These include:
- Faculty of Business and Economics - Teaching and Learning Unit (TLU)
- Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning - Teaching and Learning Unit
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences - Medical Education Unit (MEU)
- Melbourne Law School - Office for Teaching and Learning in Law (OTLL)
- Melbourne School of Engineering - Engineering Learning Unit (ELU)